Friday, January 17, 2014

Let's Compare Accents

I've often said that if I could have any super power, it would be the ability to speak any language. Can you imagine being able to travel the world and communicate with anyone wherever you were? This would come especially handy in Papua New Guinea. Why? (Fun fact alert) Because there are over 820 languages spoken there! That's why! And think of the savings you'd get from not being a ripped-off tourist! When I was traveling in Tibet a few summers ago, I would use my (sub-par) Mandarin to bargain with the vendors is Lhasa, "我是个穷学生。我没有钱!" (I'm a poor student. I have no money!) and they thought it was hilarious, this white girl with a terrible accent, and would give me excellent discounts. 非常好!

Any who, Amy Walker might have the next best thing. This woman can do just about any accent, from the subtitles within London, to the various states of the US. She flawlessly moves from one to another which blows my mind. This is coming from a girl who was raised by a British mother and a Texan father but can do neither accents (I think I've been neutralized.) However, I did play Cecily in a production of "The Importance of Being Ernest" and, for a brief period of time, I was told by several that I had the best accent in the cast. But I think that just happens when you eat that many crumpets and imbibe that much tea. And wear period costumes. 

 Impressed with Amy? Think you can do better? Show me your best Praha accent and I'll be the judge of that. 

Spotted on A Cup of Jo.

No comments:

Post a Comment